How do you keep a highly complex tube station upgrade project lasting 8 years on track, especially with a confined site footprint, whilst maintaining safety and handing the project over to the client on time?
London Underground Limited, the client, Taylor Woodrow & Bam Nuttall JV had a goal- to transform Tottenham Court Road into a world class station fit for the 21st
Century in the heart of London, integrating future links with Cross Rail and the Elizabeth line. Over 100,000 passengers use the station every single day and keeping this operational whilst executing the project required a lot of thought and planning by the team.
As the project approached its final few months the leadership felt that people were becoming tired and they were concerned about the increase of minor incidents.
Taylor Woodrow & Bam Nuttall project Leadership were determined and committed to ensuring during the final stages:
- No one would be injured in the completion phase
- There was a STEP Up in the proactive behaviours and HSSEQ performance
- A re-energised passion of their one team culture
- No one took their “eye off the ball” for safety
- People’s heads and hearts were lifted and their pride was reignited in this amazing project.
W2 designed and created immersive, inspiring engagement workshops for the Senior Leadership Team, Managers, Supervisors and Workforce all branded STEP Up for Excellence.
The purpose was to develop positive workforce engagement and participation at all levels and deliver these outputs.
- Clarify the project goal and each person’s part in its delivery
- Build trust and a belief they could deliver the goal
- Learn from a best practice case study of the Sky Cycle Team and their Peleton philosophy of winning by marginal gains
- People working and achieving as “One Team” on a variety of high energy immersive learning activities
- Build pride in the current team by showing specially commissioned film of the Project Alumni, which told their stories of why they were proud to have contributed to the project and the legacy they were leaving
- Provide an opportunity for people to get to know each other, build rapport and collaboration through mixing participants from site and office.
- Develop a range of skills including intervening and building confidence and competence through practice with role players and coaching from facilitators
- People to create a Footprint, their personal stated commitment of the mark they will leave on the project, to be displayed all around the project.
- W2 ran workshops 24/7 for a week to ensure all personnel from the day and night shifts could attend.
- Over 235 people attended the workshops 24 Leaders, 76 Supervisors and 135 workers
- W2 provided a team of facilitators, actor role players and administration support on site
- Feedback showed an overall average score of 5.3 out of 6
The project has won a significant number of awards won over the 8 year period of the Project.
At the National Rail Awards in 2017, Taylor Woodrow Bam Nuttall Joint Venture won Major Project of the Year.
Whole week was absolutely superb; lots of people still talk about it. Some said they felt really energised and passionate.
The team are working well together. People still talk very positively about the fantastic STEP UP week you and your team delivered which is encouraging and definitely what we were hoping for. Bringing you guys in was immensely successful
Wonderful workshop – time well spent
I enjoyed the opportunity to interact more with my colleagues and meet people and gain insight into everyone’s issues and devise a plan going forward
Enjoyed it all – and that is true!
Great work guys – other courses struggle because they are boring
Best workshop I have been on – W2 a great organization